West Virginia Board of Respiratory Care
106 Dee Drive, Suite 1, Charleston, WV 25311
Phone: (304) 558-1382, Fax: (304) 558-1383
The application fee of $200.00 ($75.00 Initial Student Permit) must be accompany the license application. If you cannot or are not willing to pay online by credit card, send a Money Order, Certified Check or Personal Check to the address above made payable to the West Virginia Board of Respiratory Care as your method of payment. Do not send cash. If checks are returned by your institution your license to practice is automatically null and void.
Required Documents for Licensure
To apply for a license, the applicant must complete this online application for license and attach/upload a file containing the following required documents:
- Copy of your certificate of completion (official transcript or diploma) of an approved respiratory care educational program. Not applicable to Student Permits
- Copy of your original NBRC Credential Certificate or official “Statement of Credentials” from the NBRC. Not applicable to Student Permits.
- Copy of your Photo Government issued ID (example: driver's license or passport)
- Student Permit Only: Transcripts, Employer Affidavit, Educational Affidavit, and Photo ID
- Continuing Education Requirements: Not applicable to new graduates or students
New applicants must upload a minimum of 5 continuing education units with your application. Additional 15 continuing education units are required within 30 days of licensure. If you have not practiced in the preceding five (5) years, this board requires that you retake and pass the National Board of Respiratory Care examination.
In addition to the requirements for a new applicant, if you are applying for reinstatement of an expired West Virginia license and you did not fulfill your continuing education requirement at the time of your license expiration, your previous continuing education requirement must be fulfilled and accompany this application.
If possible, PLEASE UPLOAD ALL REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS AS ONE FILE: ApplicationDocuments.pdf or ApplicationDocuments.docx.
Other formats are possible but do not upload in heic format.
To apply by mail, please contact the board office for a paper application or you may print the application from our list of “Forms” available on this website. Applying online is our preferred method.
Providing false information on this application will result in denial of licensure or future revocation of license.